In this lesson we will show you how you can Factory Reset your Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone. It’s a fairly simple process that restores your S3 back to the default factory settings. But, before we get started, let’s go over what exactly happens when you do a Hard Reset (also known as Factory Reset) on your Galaxy S3 and also some of the reasons why you may or may not want to do it. After all, we don’t want you resetting your Android device back to default settings if it isn’t necessary!
What happens when you Factory Reset your Samsung Galaxy S3?
It erases all the data on your phone! It will wipe all the data off of the internal storage of the device and return it to the default factory settings. This means deleting the following from your device: your Google account, system and application data, custom settings, and downloaded applications. In addition, you can also choose to have your external storage (SD card) erased as well. After the Factory Reset is complete your phone will operate in the same way it did the first time you turned it on. You’ll have to re-install all of your data and applications back onto the device.
Why do a Hard Reset?
*Malfunctioning device (resetting the phone to original settings may fix numerous issues)
*Wipe personal data off before selling
*Returning it to manufacturer or retailer and want all personal data removed
What to do before a Factory Reset?
*Backup any important files to your PC or external storage. Not sure how to backup your stuff? Check out our other lesson on backing up your Android smartphone here: http://droidlessons.com/how-to-backup-your-android-device/
*Make sure your contacts are synced with your Gmail account
*Write down a list of apps you may want to reinstall. Although the Play Store does a pretty good job of keeping track of that for you in the “My Apps” section of the Play Store!
Now that we’ve got that out of the way… Below are the step-by-step instructions on How to Factory Reset your Samsung Galaxy S3.
1. Go to your main homescreen, Click on MENU button (bottom left)
2. Click Settings button
3. Scroll towards the bottom and click on “Backup and reset” option
4. Click on “Factory Data Reset”
5. Read warning and then click on “Reset Device” and then click on “Delete All” button to finalize the Hard Reset.
6. That’s it! Your phone will now restore back to factory settings, reboot, and provide you with a fresh start on that Galaxy S3.
Did this article help you out? Questions or issues? Please let us know by leaving a comment below!
Latest posts by John A (see all)
- How to take a screenshot on the Moto G (free – no app required!) - November 27, 2013
- How to Factory Reset and Wipe Data off the Samsung Galaxy S4 - November 23, 2013
- How to take a screenshot on the Nexus 5 (free – no app required!) - November 18, 2013