In this lesson we will show you how you can Factory Reset your Android device. But, before we get started, let’s go over what exactly happens when you do a Factory Reset on your Droid and also some of the reasons why you may or may not want to do it.
What happens when you do a Factory Reset on your Android device?
It erases all the data on your phone! It will wipe all the data off of the internal storage of the device and return it to the default factory settings. This means deleting the following from your device: your google account, system and application data, custom settings, and downloaded applications. In addition, you can also choose to have your external storage (SD card) erased as well. After the Factory Reset is complete your phone will operate in the same way it did the first time you turned it on. You’ll have to re-install all of your data and applications back onto the device.
Why would you want to do a Factory Reset?
- Malfunctioning device (resetting the phone to original settings may fix numerous issues)
- Wipe personal data off before selling
- Returning it to manufacturer or retailer and want all personal data removed
What to do before you do a Factory Reset?
- Backup any important files to your PC or external storage
- Make sure your contacts are synced with your Gmail account
- Write down a list of apps you may want to reinstall
Now that we’ve got that out of the way… Below are the step-by-step instructions and the video tutorial on How to Factory Reset your Android device.
- From the home screen, click the MENU button
- Click on SETTINGS
- Select the “SD & Phone Storage” option
- Click on “Factory data reset” located at the bottom
- Final Warning: This next step will wipe all the data off of your device. You are also given the option to check mark whether you want to wipe all data from the SD card.
- Click on “Reset Phone” to finalize the Factory Reset
Latest posts by John A (see all)
- How to take a screenshot on the Moto G (free – no app required!) - November 27, 2013
- How to Factory Reset and Wipe Data off the Samsung Galaxy S4 - November 23, 2013
- How to take a screenshot on the Nexus 5 (free – no app required!) - November 18, 2013