By now I’m sure that most of you have heard of Google+ (Google Plus). In case you haven’t, it is a new social network created by Google to compete with Facebook. It has lots of great new features that differentiate it from Facebook and set it in a world of its own. It works amazingly well on Android devices (thanks Google!) and I’m going to show you how you can install/use it on your Droid devices.
But before we get started, let me first introduce you to my good friend Alex! Alex has written a great blog that features some useful tutorials and lessons on how to use Google+. I encourage you all to check it out. He does a great job of exploring the many Google+ features that are available and how to use them. Check out his blog here at: DoGooglePlus.com. After your done learning all about Google+, head on back here to learn about how to install it on your Android device!
Welcome back! I hope Alex’s site helped explain all the great features available on Google+. You may have also learned that Google+ is currently in closed beta. That means that not just anyone can install it and start using it. But don’t worry, we have plenty of invites available! Just drop me a note in the comments below and I’ll make sure to send you an invite so that you can join in on the fun. Okay, now back to the instructions on how to install Google+ on your Android device.
- Go to the Android Market app
- Click the MENU button and press SEARCH
- Type in: “Google+” or “Google Plus”
- Select the “Google+” app and click INSTALL
- Google+ will then launch after installation
- If you don’t have an invitation to Google+ you will now be notified (no problem, just leave a comment below and I’ll send you one!)
- Enable Instant Upload – Automatically upload your photos and videos as you take them. If you want to do that then just click on CONTINUE. I, however, DO NOT recommend that. I only upload pictures when I find it necessary. I don’t like the idea of the app automatically uploading the pictures as I take them.
- You will now appear at the home screen of the Google+ app with access to Stream, Huddle, Photos, Profile, and Circles.
- Click on Stream and check out what your friends are up to! Leave a comment to let them know you’ve joined the party.
Trying to install Google+ outside of the USA? You’ll notice that Google+ does not yet appear in the Android Market for you. No problem! Follow these steps below to be able to install Google+ outside the US.
Step-by-step Instructions for users outside the USA:
- You’ll need to search the Android Market for an app named “MarketEnabler”.
- Install the free “MarketEnabler” app
- Run the “MarketEnabler” app and click the “Settings List” tab
- Choose T-Mobile for the provider
- Now the next time you go to your Android Market it will assume that you are in the USA using T-Mobile service.
- Search for Google+ in the Android Market and you should now see it appear. Again, this is only for people outside the USA. Hope you enjoy it!
If you need a Google+ invite just let me know in the comments section below and I’ll make sure to send you one!
Latest posts by John A (see all)
- How to Bypass the Samsung Galaxy S4 Lock Screen Password - February 5, 2014
- How to Add Password Protection to Google Play Store App - February 1, 2014
- Improve Health and Fitness with FitBit on Android - January 12, 2014